High Street, Bromley
Factory Furniture supplied Flo benches as part of the regeneration development of the High Street, Bromley. As an extension of the scheme, Factory Furniture was commissioned by Studio Egret West to design and supply larger curved versions of the Flo. These were used as feature seats for the large public space.
The Flo bench has been designed with contemporary street seating needs in mind. Most important, of its many design features, is it’s ability to resist anti-social behaviour:
- Deters rough sleeping – the ridged top and curved surfaces make it difficult to lie on with any comfort.
- Deters bag theft – the recess along the front and back of the bench allows people to store bags behind their legs.
- Self-cleaning – its shape allows litter, dirt and water to flow off.
- Easy to relocate (for example removing it away from problem areas) – as it sits on the footway and does not have to be bolted to a purpose built foundation.
- Deters skaters – as the expressed join detail makes the edge difficult to grind on.
The 6 meter seats were manufactured from polished black granite. They were supplied to the High Street at Bromley in four sections to make onsite installation easier.
Client – Studio Egret WestFeature sites